There are things that I often find myself wishing I could tell my younger self about how life really works, about what’s real and true, and thereby dissolve some of the harmful preconceptions and assumptions I had way back then. I know it’s a frustrating impossibility, but it’s worth thinking about.
Here are 10 things that I wish I could tell her:
- Life is good, hella good as long as utaikula kwa adabu,but ofcourse not always.There will be ups and downs here and there but be rest assured it will get better. Get excited about life — whether it’s the color of the sky at dusk , biting into a really good slice of blueberry cake or getting excited about that crush who will tap their office window everytime they see you going to the washrooms — its a gorgeous experience.Also remember that Life is far too important to be taken seriously.
- Your hardwork in school will be so worth it.Well,listen to the motivational speakers and don’t sleep during Guiding and Counselling lessons like me and most people I know did.But don’t kill yourself over it,its never that serious. Integrity is your biggest superpower in this world. Do the right thing when nobody’s looking and you’ll face yourself in the mirror with a smile every day.
- Exercise,eat well live healthy,drink a lot of water.Also don’t forget to schedule for your rest and recreation regularly.The older you get the more you’ll understand why,remember!don’t grow up,it’s a trap.
- You are terrific just the way you are.You are amazing well up-to the present,But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t smoothen your rough edges and areas of inexperience. That little voice inside of you that speaks up when something feels off – listen to it. It is never wrong
- You are a journey,which means things will change and people will also change,sometimes shockingly,and sometimes people who you never thought would change but nevertheless it will be a good journey and it will be worth every step.
- Always be yourself.In everything that you do,don’t ever pretend or do something out of pressure from the people around you or your family,BE THE BEST VERSION OF YOU!!!
- There are snakes and friends.Oh Hunny!! You will meet them.Some will smile with you this minute and say the most horrible things about you the next minute,those are snakes,hit them on the head.Also,there are the real ones,they will give you genuine smiles,support your dreams and tell you as it is,Keep ‘em.
- You will kiss a million frogs before you get to your prince. There is no one person in the whole world who is the one-and-only person God has selected for you to be with forever. So don’t waste your time thinking you have to search for that one ideal and perfect MR-Right. Open yourself up, be patient, and it will all work out.That boyfriend that insists you should put on a short ,off- shoulder dress when going out,in this crappy Nairobi weather,and he is always borrowing that kidogo pocket money,he will never be the one,your future husband will appreciate you even on sweat pants or dera. But I didn’t say that you shouldn’t be sexy for him.
- To get anywhere, you have to get comfortable with saying no.It takes practice to catch yourself if you tend to say yes out of habit. But once you get the hang of it, you’ll be delighted to see how much time and energy you have ,to pursue your passions.
- Actually, my younger self, I cannot tell you anything,I mean its crazy!!!anyhow, try your best to figure out things on your own as soon as you can. Learn from your mistakes. And live so that someday you won’t have to wish you could tell your younger self anything.
Your older self